Thursday, April 5, 2012

Just one text...

4.05.12

Hebrews 10:24

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds,"

I have never been one to text. I'll be quite honest I used to avoid texting at all costs. I would much rather call someone or go see them. I am finding more and more though that it is almost impossible to avoid texting in today's day and age. With the growth of the "smart phone" in the world, texting has become common place. It has replaced the hand written love note between students on the bus on the way home from school. We all remember that note, "Do you like me? Check Yes, No or Maybe. Now it's "Do you like me? Text 1-for Yes 2- for No or 3- for you'll know by my Facebook status later".

All that said I am beginning to embrace texting. That isn't to say I still don't prefer a nice phone call or the occasional unannounced drop by visit, but I am have begun to text more and more. I've come to realize that a well placed text in the middle of the day can be exactly what they need. It doesn't have to say much, but it can be the difference between someone having a horrible day and an amazing day. Sometimes it is exactly the kind of encouragement that someone needs. Just a one line "Hey thinking about you" or "Praying for you" can absolutely change someone's perspective on their day. For someone it may be as simple as "Hey I would love to have you come to church with me this Sunday" or "Hey when are we doing lunch?"

Everyone wants to know that they are being thought of and everyone wants to be told they are thought of and cared for. I believe it is our job, as we walk with Christ, that we spur one another on toward love and good deeds. What I am being reminded of is that God can use something as simple as a text message to bring joy into someone's day. It could be one simple message that can be what spurs them on that particular day. My encouragement to everyone today is to be the one today to spur someone else on toward love and good deeds. Be the light in a dark day. Be bold enough to send that little text message that might spur someone on. You never know you may be exactly what God will use to help them press on. I believe that is what it means to consider "how" to spur one another on. Due whatever it takes to encourage someone, and realize that it may be as simple as a short text message.

Technology is replacing a lot of what "used to be", but that doesn't mean that God can't still use these things for HIS advantage.

Thought question: Is there someone that you know that could use a great encouragement today? Is there someone out there waiting for YOUR text that invites them to something? How can you spur someone on today with something as simple as a text message?

No comments:

Post a Comment